The Turning Twenty quilt was a great starter project and in the beginning was easy to work with, but when you started sewing all the blocks then rows together it really got big and awkward.
So for my next project I wanted to sharpen my piecing skills, but wanted something manageable. So I found pre-cut flannel combos at Jo-Ann's and decided to make a couple of baby quilts. At the time I made these there were no babies in the picture for the McClelland/Glaenzer families, but thought I would do a boy and girl quilt just to have on hand.
Found this free pattern on the internet called "Basically Kids Stuff Block". The pattern called for 5 fat-quarters to make 9 blocks. Thought it was the perfect next step. The boy version was green/yellow/and blue with a cute little monkey.
I got a lot of "piecing practice" in on such a small quilt. The more I did the more I realized I did need the practice. Good thing little ones don't care if all the seams line up, because there is a lot on this one that doesn't!
I added a border of coordinating white/green dot fabric and did a piece binding and the backing was the white & green fabric. Again Dawn in Springfield machine quilted this one. If you haven't figured out by now, Dawn in Springfield is doing well from my new quilting obsession.
A year later I hosted and jungle themed baby shower for Lindsay and Baby Boy (Carson) McClelland and used this quilt as decoration and gift. So my lack of pre-planning actually worked out.
The little girl version was a dragonfly/faries theme in pinks and purples. Again I found a coordinating white/pink flannel for the border and backing and went with my favorite pieced binding, quilted by Dawn.
This one has not found a home yet. This could be because I have not finished sewing the binding on, or it could just be waiting for it's perfect match.
Becky's second project was an awesome wall hanging for Melinda. I do not have a picture of it, but am requesting it now.
Wow I am quite impressed! I must.warn.you.there. Is.no.cure.for.this.disease! Seems to only get worse! Love it!
ReplyDelete